The root canal system and its anatomy is complex to understand. Every tooth contains a root canal system, pulp, nerves, blood vessels and connective tissues. In the crown portion that is visible, this pulp is situated which is a hollow space. These pulps connect the other narrow spaces within the tooth.
What Is Dental Pulp?
The pulp is the center of the tooth which is also called as the pulp chamber is the soft area which contains the nerve, blood vessels, and connective tissue. The roots of the tooth contain nerves. These root canals travel into the pulp chamber from the tip of the tooth.
Once the tooth has come out of the gums, the nerves are not that important for the health of the tooth. Its function is to provide sensation to the teeth with cold and hot. The normal function of the teeth is not affected by the absence or presence of the nerves.
Why Does the Pulp Need to Be Removed?
The pulp breaks if it gets damaged and then the bacteria starts accumulating and multiplying in the pulp chamber. This causes infection and abscess to the tooth. Pus is formed at the tooth root and can cause:
- Swelling that may spread to other areas of the face, neck, or head
- Bone loss around the tip of the root
- Drainage problems extending outward from the root. A hole can occur through the side of the tooth, with drainage into the gums or through the cheek into the skin.
What Damages a Tooth’s Pulp in the First Place?
A tooth’s pulp can become irritated, inflamed, and infected due to deep decay, repeated dental procedures on a tooth, large fillings, a crack or chip in the tooth, or trauma to the face.
What Are the Symptoms and Signs That You Need a Root Canal?
Symptoms and signs that you need a root canal include:
- Severe pain while biting into or chewing foods
- Swollen or tender nearby gums
- A cracked or chipped tooth
- Pimples on the gums
- Tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures after the heat or cold has been removed and that lasts a long time and/or is slow to end.
- A pimple on the gum that won’t go away
You can contact Rouse Hill Smiles Dental Care known as affordable dentists for root canal procedure and also tips to prevent such damages.